Bards often serve as negotiators, messengers, scouts, and spies. They love to accompany heroes (and villains) to witness heroic (or villainous) deeds firsthand, since a bard who can tell a story from personal experience earns renown among his fellows. A bard casts arcane spells without any advance preparation, much like a sorcerer. His magic emphasizes charms and illusions, and the bard can also play an inspiring song that strengthens him and his allies. Bards also share some specialized skills with rogues, and their knowledge of item lore is nearly unmatched.
WARNING: To cast a spell, a bard must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell's level. For example, to cast a 6th-level spell, a bard must have a Charisma of 16.
- Alignment Restrictions: Any nonlawful.
- Base Attack Bonus: +3 / 4 Levels.
- Hit Die: d6.
- Primary Saving Throws: Reflex, Will.
- Proficiencies: Proficient with simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. Also proficient with light armor and shields.
- Skill Points (*4 at 1st level): 6 + Int Modifier.
- Spellcasting: Bard Spells. Arcane (Charisma-based, no spell preparation, spell failure from armor is a factor).
- Ex-Bards: Bards cannot gain levels of experience while they are of any lawful alignment.
Class Skills: Antagonize, Appraise, Concentration, Discipline, Heal, Hide, Influence, Listen, Lore, Move Silently, Parry, Perform, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Tumble, Use Magic Device.
Unavailable Skills: Animal Empathy.
Class Feat Progression:
Bardic Knowledge - +1 skill bonus to Lore for every Bard level.
Bard Song - Provides bonuses to you and your allies.
Being able to cast 0 spells of a certain level per day means the bard cannot cast spells of that level unless bonus spells of the appropriate level are granted by a high charisma.